Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Birthday Suprises

Hurrying along as quickly as the seasons have been changing, I feel like it's hard to catch my breath these days. While I mean it as a matter of speech, my asthma has also been acting up. That's beside the point right now, though. My darling turned 27 on Sunday, and I was so excited to get to do all the little birthday preparations.

It was a cool day on Sunday, though the sun was warm. He woke up early, of course, to open his present as soon as I came over. I wrapped it with my usual recycled newspaper, taking care to put and appropriate "seniors services" article on the top where he would notice it. The card was made up with Pac Man font and "Happy Birthday" in binary to add a funny little touch that only he would appreciate. It was finished off with black and white yarn on the sides for that little extra touch that I just can't resist. Yarn can make just the darned cutest (and possibly easiest) decorations on a gift.

The cake was lovingly hand made by me of course, a tasty, creamy cheesecake with the top layer colored with yellow food colouring for that classic Pac Man yellow to go with the card on his gift. I cut out one piece to get the classic shape as well as adding a chocolate eye, mostly to hide the horrendous crack that opened up while the cheesecake was cooling. I love a good cheesecake, but those cracks can be so disheartening. Nevertheless the cake got a chuckle and seemed to be well enjoyed. Who doesn't love cheesecake after all?

While the geeky theme was great, it just seemed lacking something. Something...pretty, perhaps. So to finish it all off, I added something a little more "me" by making up a batch of my oatmeal cookies and simply adding sprinkles to the dough to make "confetti". Tasty, but with that sweet little birthday party touch.

Just a quick addition of my home grown pumpkins and a pumpkin shaped serving bowl filled with tasty and refreshing cantaloupe to finish up the tasty delights. Overall it was a fun day for me and it would seem, happily, a great day for my sweetie.

A big happy birthday to my love, and many more to come :)

No comments:

Post a Comment