Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Suprises Of All Sorts

Life certainly has it's ups and downs, though a great deal of the time it seems to be many downs. Small as they may be compared to others lives it seems like one thing after another. Aside from the daily hurdles as of late, tragedy has stuck my garden...namely my pumpkins. Yes, my dear and precious pumpkins I was so excited over, that I lovingly cared for, waited for, pollinated, and watered.

We recently had a serious hail storm with hail ranging in size from regular sized hails to larger marbles to large flat discs probably in the size of ping pong balls. The storm came quickly and rapidly because severe. I was unprepared and had no time, nor anything to cover the pumpkins with...it was in the black of night and it came down fast and hard, seemingly going on forever. There was a great deal of damage to the house paint as well as the roof. Needless to say, my pumpkins stood no chance. Almost nothing was left of the leaves from my pumpkin plants, and the three small (just starting out) pumpkins were destroyed, with half of the fruit being broken off. The largest of my pumpkins had a few dints, but for the moment it seems to be surviving. Of course, with the lack of leaves it doesn't appear to be growing very quickly, but I'm putting all my hope in it...

If this one and only surviving pumpkin should die, I think a little part of me will as well. It will just be one more thing that seems to be going against me. For anyone who knows me, you know how special Halloween is to me, and how much I adore pumpkins. I had such high hopes for my garden this year, and with four pumpkins growing it seemed as though I'd finally get pumpkins. After the drama in early July I put my happiness into those pumpkins...I cried when it happened. It would appear another year without pumpkins of my own...

In a happier note, a number of birthdays are coming up this fall so I can happily do some wrapping. I love to wrap, part of my excitement during the holidays. My favorite wrappings for birthdays being recycled newspapers. This time around I found the tv guide within the newspaper and it has such pretty, yet subtle colors that would work perfectly for a gift. Simple string bow, and a handmade birthday (post)card. More birthday wrapped goodies are to come, which I suppose is one thing I can look forward to no matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment